If you are bothered by the signs of aging in your face, a facelift may be right for you.
Also known as rhytidectomy, a facelift is a surgical procedure to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck, such as:
- Sagging in the mid face
- Deep creases below the lower eyelids
- Deep creases along the nose extending to the corner of the mouth
- Fat that has fallen or is displaced
- Loss of muscle tone in the lower face may create jowls
- Loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw can make even a person of normal weight appear to have a double chin
Other surgical procedures typically performed in conjunction with a facelift are brow lift, to correct a sagging or deeply furrowed brow, and eyelid surgery to rejuvenate aging eyes.
A facelift is a restorative surgery that does not change your fundamental appearance and cannot stop the aging process. A facelift can only be performed surgically; non-surgical rejuvenation treatments cannot achieve the same results, but may help delay the time of which a facelift becomes appropriate and compliment the results of surgery.
A facelift is a highly individualized procedure. Facelift surgery is a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You don't smoke
- You have a positive outlook and specific but realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
The visible improvements of a facelift appear as swelling and bruising subside. Your final result should restore a more youthful and rested appearance. It may take several months for swelling to fully dissipate and up to 6 months for the incision lines to mature. Life-long sun protection will help to maintain your rejuvenated appearance by minimizing photo-aging or sun damage. In addition, a healthy lifestyle will also help extend the results of your rejuvenated more youthful appearance.
For more information on facelift surgery, please contact our office in Little Rock, Arkansas to schedule a cosmetic consultation. Plastic surgeon Dr. Bauer is happy to offer this procedure and others to patients seeking a more youthful appearance.